Open High School Program
The Open High School Program (OHSP) was piloted through the initiative of Dr. Elma D. Donaal and is currently implemented by Baguio City National High School (BCNHS) is an alternative mode of delivering secondary education for both public and private schools. It puts premium on independent, self-pacing and flexible study to reach learners who are unable to start or complete secondary education due to problems of time, distance, physical impairment, financial difficulties, social or family problems.
The Open High School Program (OHSP) aims to:
1. retain in school potential dropouts;
2. encourage out-of-school youth of high school age (12-16) to return to school; and
3. contribute to the accomplishment of the Education for All (EFA 2015) target which is 100% participation rate and zero dropout rate by 2015.
Screening and Admission of students and Organizations of Classes
1. the program is open to all Filipino learners of high school age who can demonstrate capacity for independent learning and are willing to undertake self-directing learning.
2. Learner applicants shall present any of the following as an entrance requirement:
a. High School Report Card (in case of drop-out)
b. Elementary Report Card (for high school entrants)
c. PEPT qualifying certificate
3. The learner shall undergo two stages of assessment. The Independent Learning Readiness Test (ILRT) shall be given to assess the learner’s capacity for self-directed learning. The second stage is the Information Reading Inventory (ERI) which shall measure the learner’s reading level as basis for class grouping.
4. An interview shall also be conducted with the parent/guardian to give the school a complete profile of the learner’s socio-economic, health and psycho-social background.
5. When qualified, the learner and his/her parent/guardian shall sign a learning contract or learning agreement, which includes the following:
a. What the school expects from the learner;
b. What the school expects from the parent guardian; and
c. The learning modules to be covered and target dates of completion.
-For those who are interested, Baguio City National High School is offering the OHS Program to anyone who has the qualification and requirements, just visit the BCNHS Guidance Office and look for Mr. Karim Javar, Ms. Ofelia Padlan. You may also contact them on the numbers found in the contact page of this website.